August 12, 2008

Waikato Times 21 August 2008 and NZLive



ARTICLE EXCERPT: Waikato Times-Arts, By Matt Bowen
Prepare to be challenged, inspired and even a little uneasy.
Finalists in the often controversial Trust Waikato National Contemporary Art Award have been named and the winner named tomorrow night. Among the nationwide talent pool are three Waikato artists; 16-year-old Yaniv Janson is one of them.

In Early 2008 Yaniv suddenly and adamantly started to paint. And he has already encountered considerable success. “I’ve sold 34 paintings to date and people from Gisborne and Wellington have called to get hold of them,” he said.
He was also named as a finalist in the 2008 James Wallace Award with his work “Life, the universe and everything.”

Prizes for the competition amount to $70, 000, something Yaniv is very aware of – he plans to make art his profession.
“I want to prove to my parents and everybody that I can do this for a living. I don’t want a real job, I want to paint.” he said.

The aspiring artist submitted his entry ‘Autumn Reflections’ in person at Waikato Museum and is very excited at the prospect of pocketing the $15, 000 winner’s cheque.

See the NZlive posting